Monday, December 30, 2013

Queenies

As a food lover, I am always looking for new experiences in different cuisine. Coming from a multiracial country has definitely made most of my encounters with different cuisines a very enjoyable experience. This time, we decided to try something that we haven't tried before - Jamaican food. To be honest, I don't know much about Jamaica, all that I know is Usain Bolt is from Jamaica and Jamaican always seems really fit to me. 

Wanted to go on Boxing Day for dinner but they are closed. I think they are only open for lunch on Friday and open for dinner Tuesday to Sunday. Anyway, I am glad we manage to get a table despite calling them at a very last minute. We went there on Saturday for dinner. 









Pickled cucumber, it was a complementary dish. 




We didn’t know what to order so we asked for some recommendations. The waitress was friendly and smiley and her recommendations were awesome!






We had the bammies as our started, one with prawn, mango and ginger, the other one with pulled pork and pineapple. I can’t decide which one is my favourite because they are delicious in their own ways. Bammies are actually a kind of traditional Jamaican cassava flatbread descended from the simple flatbread eaten by the Arawaks. The taste is pretty similar to roti or naan but is a slight thicker version. 





Ceviche sounds really fancy and I haven’t actually had one before so I decided to try the Sean Paul Ceviche, it was served with scallops, pappadum, black bean puree, avocado and curry salt. The combination was really interesting. The scallops were served raw but all the elements complemented each other really well. I really enjoyed the dish. 



Jeff just couldn’t look pass the Voodoo wings, and hence we ordered that. It was SPICY, yes SUPER SPICY! I thought I could take spicy food relatively well because of all the spicy food back in Malaysia but the voodoo wings have definitely proven me wrong. It reminded me of Crazy Wings (the super spicy chicken wings that I had in Melbourne last year). Jeff really liked it because he loves anything that is spicy. It was well seasoned and cooked well too, the chicken was juicy and the outer bit was crispy. 



I am a pretty big fan of sweet potatoes, and therefore when I saw the sweet potato fries on the menu, I just couldn’t look pass it. Definitely no regrets getting that because it was crunchy, delicious and awesome! The spiced mayo that came with it was really yummm. 



Because both of us are food monsters, we also had the BBQ Jerk chicken with jungle slaw. I think out of all the dishes, this is the most ordinary one because everything else was really good. I didn’t really like the slaw because of the slight bitterness but the chicken was definitely well seasoned and well cooked. 






We were stuffed after having so much food but after looking at the dessert menu, we decided that we have to try the banana cream pie. I am glad it didn’t disappoint. The pie was massive, and it had an oreo base with peanuts, chocolate and banana as the filling. OMG this is so sinful but soooooo good, I think it is worth the calories!



It was a great experience; I will definitely come back for more. Next time, I will come with at least 3 other people so that I can order more!


How I would rate this place:
Ambiance: 7.5/10
Food: 8/10
Presentation of food: 7/10
Price: 7/10
Service: 8.5/10

Queenies
https://www.facebook.com/queeniesjerk

Level 1, 336 Riley St, Surry Hills, NSW 2010
(02) 92123035
Opening Hours:
Friday: Lunch
Tuesday – Saturday: 6pm – 11pm
(Couldn’t find a reliable source to tell me the accurate opening hours)

No comments:

Post a Comment